Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Tickets, and more tickets.

I don't know if this is karma catching up to me or what, but, I've had a superb driving record this past 5 years, until this year. Now, I will admit, I tend to drive fairly fast and I have a lead foot. But, I've always driven this way and never got caught. Until April. I was on my way to meet a friend to go snowboarding, and I was already running late. I didn't realize I was doing 15 over in a school zone, no less (damn you texting and driving!) So, there's speeding ticket #1-$130 and 2 points on my Drivers License.

Let me explain how the Colorado drivers licenses work out here. You are allowed a total of 12 points a year, and if you go over that, you will get your license revoked. However, a lot of times, if you pay your ticket within 20 days, the fees go down and the points go down to 2. So that's what I did. I was not happy to find out that you can't go to traffic school to get these tickets cleared off your driving record.

Ticket #2- I'm coming home from Matt's house at the beginning of June. Not paying ANY attention, whizzing by Coors field with Schnitzel in my lap at 40 mph. Apparently the speed limit is 25 here, to my dismay. So, I reluctantly pay my ticket within the 20 day window and another 2 pts on my license.

Ticket#3-this happened a little over a week since ticket #2. I went on a 9 day west coast road trip with a few girlfriends, and I got zapped doing 82 in a 65 in Elko, Nevada. Mind you, I-80 has been set at 75 mph THE ENTIRE WAY. Til that is, we get to the big "city" of Elko where it then drops down to 65. Since I got this ticket in NV, it doesn't count against my points, and it's $107 and I have until August to pay.

Let me also count how many street cleaning tickets I have gotten-I think I have a total of 4 @ $25 a pop. I've had to cough up over $300 in ticket fines over the past 2 months. This is insane. But, I have noone to blame but myself for all of this. I at least am cautious of my surroundings and I do at most 5 over the speed limit now. It only took me 3 speeding tickets to finally do this, but better late than never I guess.

2 comments:

  1. Man that is lame! I've been managing to not get speeding tickets my whole driving career, but I think a lot of that is thanks to the fact that it's kinda hard to get pulled over around Chicago :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. the point system is so odd to me! I think Wisconsin does it that way too. Yuck. I am a victim of Red Light tickets. I think I've gotten 2 or 3 in the past 3 years. UGH.

    ReplyDelete